Student Educational Resources Committee
The Student Educational Resources Committee (SERC) is a Standing Committee of the University Resources Committee (URC).
- Compostion and Appointments
- Membership Requirements
- Terms and Responsibilities
- Financial and Administrative Support
To identify unaddressed content and pedagogical challenges faced by undergraduate and graduate students in IEEE fields of interest in engineering, computing, and technology (ECT), and to partner, as appropriate, to provide educational resources to help overcome these challenges.
To work with IEEE EAB and other OU programs and activities, with input from and collaboration with other IEEE OU's, to enhance the educational experience of university students through the development and delivery of educational resources not adequately provided in the normal curriculum.
- Strategic Plans and Activities
- Developing projects and new initiative proposals to support the strategic objectives of IEEE and EAB in the areas of student pedagogy and the educational experience.
- Operational Plans and Activities
- To identify pedagogical challenges and associated resource gaps faced by ECT undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develop, recommend and implement programs and resources that address the student pedagogical challenges, fill existing resource gaps in these areas, and complement the IEEE student portfolio.
- Collaborate with Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) Board, the Technical Activities Board (TAB), the IEEE Education Society, IEEE-USA, IEEE-HKN, and other relevant IEEE organizational units to expand the impact of IEEE student educational programs.
- Facilitate communication and interaction between the university education community, professional technical councils/societies and IEEE Regions, Sections and Student Branches. When appropriate, work with other professional societies, academic institutions, IEEE Sections and IEEE volunteers to develop and promote student pedagogical programs and educational resources.
The membership of the SERC consists of voting and non-voting members as indicated below. The total number of voting members shall be five (5) and the total number of non-voting members shall be not more than three (3).
- SERC Chair to be appointed by the Chair of the EAB in consultation with the URC Chair
- Four (4) IEEE Members-at-Large, at least one of whom shall be a Graduate Student Member, appointed by the Chair of the EAB in consultation with the SERC Chair and the URC Chair (a minimum of one member should have a background from a global academic institution or educational organization).
- URC Chair, serving as an ex officio member
- VP-EA serving as an ex officio member
- One (1) IEEE Student Member
All voting members must be IEEE Graduate Student Members, Members, Senior Members, or Fellows.
All terms of service commence on January 1st of each calendar year. The terms of service of the officers and voting members are:
The term of SERC Chair is one (1) year. The Chair may hold office for no longer than three (3) successive terms. Service as Chair is not considered a part of the five (5) year successive term limit for voting members. Thus, the SERC Chair may serve as a voting member for five (5) successive terms in addition to his/her service as Chair.
The term of a voting member is one (1) year. Members are eligible for re-appointment as long as they have not yet served for five (5) successive terms.
Duties and Responsibilities of Officers and Voting Members are:
- Serve as a voting member of the URC
- Appoint one of the other voting members to serve as Vice Chair with the concurrence of the Chair of Educational Activities
- Seek out collaborative opportunities with other URC Committees and, when appropriate, with other IEEE and EAB organizational units, Councils and Committees
- Provide leadership aimed at achieving IEEE/EAB goals and objectives
- Measure and assess SERC achievement versus stated goals and objectives
- Convene and conduct voting and special meetings
- Prepare periodic reports on status and activities to the URC
- Recommend the appointment of SERC members and Subcommittee Chairs
- Meet periodically with the URC Chair to review IEEE activities in the areas of global accreditation
- Appoint Ad Hoc Subcommittees or similar groups when deemed necessary
SERC Vice Chair
- Serve in the capacity of the Chair, should the Chair be absent from a SERC meeting or otherwise unable to carry out the duties of the Chair
- Attend meetings and vote on SERC issues
- Provide knowledge, expertise and guidance on ECT university-level education issues in support of SERC activities and EAB objectives
- Provide support in developing faculty and academic department resources and programs
The EAB will provide financial and administrative support through the URC including travel, material and communication expenses, and secretarial and administrative assistance provided through an annual allocation by the IEEE. Only SERC voting members, the VP-EA, and nonvoting members pre-approved by the URC Chair shall be eligible for travel and meeting expense reimbursement. The reimbursements shall conform to the standard IEEE Travel Reimbursement Policy.
- At least one (1) face-to-face meeting of the SERC shall be convened annually
- The SERC shall conduct its business by electronic mail but meet, as necessary, by teleconference/webcast and face-to-face
- Meetings will be conducted under an informal application of parliamentary procedures and rules of order
- Meetings will be announced at least two (2) weeks in advance and agendas with supporting documents shall be circulated at least five (5) days prior to any scheduled meeting
- Minutes will be recorded and distributed for each meeting 6. Meeting summaries will be made available through the SERC Website
All amendments to this Charter shall be approved by EAB.